Applied Rationality Workshops
Friday, May 17 – Monday, May 20
Saturday, July 20 – Tuesday, July 23
The Center for Applied Rationality is a nonprofit founded to give people more understanding and control of their own decision-making. The techniques we teach are inspired by models of reasoning from probability and decision theory, combined with cognitive science research on how human brains actually reason and how we can train ourselves to improve. We at CFAR turn those mathematical and empirical insights into everyday skills (like those described in our rationality checklist) — how to make accurate predictions, how to avoid self-deception, and how to get your motivation where your arithmetic says it should be.
Join us for one of our upcoming immersive rationality workshops in the San Francisco Bay Area, where we’ll be teaching these ideas to a select group of founders, hackers, and other ambitious, analytical, practically-minded people. We’ll explain the science behind our techniques, and lead you through exercises to make sure that you can actually apply those techniques in real life, not just understand them intellectually. For more information, check out our testimonials page, the Workshops FAQ, or see the schedule from a previous workshop.
“Rationality training has given me more mental clarity than I knew it was possible to have.”
Gain powerful insights into…
- What ideal decision-making looks like: when to trust your gut, and when to trust your head.
- How to learn about your own motivations and goals using principled thought experiments.
- How to make more accurate everyday predictions using Bayes’ Rule, a simple but powerful intuitive tool from probability theory.
- The science behind stress reactions, and skills to make it easier to ask experts for advice, customers for money, or VCs for investments.
… And much more. See a full workshop schedule.
The workshop includes three full days of sessions (Fri-Sun) and an optional (but recommended) day on Monday for systematic review and practice. Total cost of attendance (including lodging, meals, and six weeks of follow-up) is $3,900 USD ($3,400 for those who are unable to stay through Monday). Some financial aid is available. And if you conclude the benefits to your happiness and effectiveness don’t recoup the investment, we’ll refund your money.
Questions? Check out the workshop FAQ, or click here to email CFAR’s Executive Director Anna Salamon.
Apply now! Space is limited to 25.
“It was packed full of thinking tools I’ve been explicitly applying in my business and personal life since the camp finished.”
Some relevant numbers…
- 9.3 average response, from past participants, to the question “0 to 10, are you glad you came?”
- 96 hours of full immersion in the style of Foo camp
- 24 other participants learning with you
- 8 instructors available before and after class to discuss applying the material in your life
- 6 weeks of followup: one-on-one weekly phone calls and regular emails to integrate your new skills.
“I’m thrilled to see an organization that teaches entrepreneurs about the many thinking errors that can kill your business. The CFAR retreat I attended was packed with useful information that I still reflect on regularly.”